Oct 3, 2006

Free Speech Rights Aren't So Important

Some people think free speech rights are more important than I do. What if you thought I actually believed that?

Do you believe that free speech rights are sacred? I do. Our First Amendment guarantees them.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


I don't know of anyone who doesn't think that our free speech rights are indeed sacred.

But this post isn't about free speech rights.This post is about private property rights, another sacred part of our Constitution that is the basis for our liberty.

Which is why I found it extremely interesting when at last week's League of Oregon Cities conference I heard Metro President David Bragdon say, "Some people think private property rights are more important than I do."

At least I know where the guy stands.


No comments: