Jan 7, 2008

"Me" Speech Reference Score: Hillary 14, Obama 2

Here are random samples of recent Hillary and Obama speeches or interviews in New Hampshire, with a count of self-directed references and other-directed references. Although based on just a few speeches, the difference is striking, and may be an indication of what's right with Obama's campaign and what's wrong with Hillary's campaign.

Hillary Total: "I" or "Me" references:14. "Other" references: 3.
Obama Total: "I" references: 2; "You," "We" or "Our" references: 23.

“I couldn’t do it if I just didn’t passionately believe it was the right thing to do. I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don’t want to see us fall backwards. This is very personal for me — it’s not just political, it’s not just public. I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don’t want to see us fall backwards. This is very personal for me — it’s not just political, it’s not just public.”
- Hillary Clinton at the coffee shop Monday morning.

“It was just so touching when this woman said, ‘Well, what about you?’” Mrs. Clinton said. “I just don’t think about that, I think about what I can do for other people I have spent a lifetime trying to help others; I’m very other-directed. That’s maybe why people don’t get me in the political world.”
-
Hillary Clinton during an interview Monday night.


Hillary Word Count :

"I" or "I'm = 11

"Me"= 3

"Others" or "other" = 3

TOTALS:
14 self-directed, and 3 other-directed references. Hmmmm.


Contrast this with Obama, her opponent:

"We started something on Thursday, but it was just the start. If we cast aside our fear and cast aside our cynicism and we stand up for what we genuinely believe, this is our moment, this is our time, you can feel it, you can see it."- Obama at a New Hampshire Rally on Saturday.

I hope all of you are not only going to the polls yourselves tomorrow," he said, "but also that you're going to be grabbing some people and telling them we are about to make history here and you want to be a part of it. You don't want to be looking back five years from now and saying the American people really rose up and changed America, and I was sitting on the couch."

Trying to make his victory not look too inevitable, he continued, "Everybody understands that we got a lot of work to do, we got one more day. If we follow through then I think tomorrow could just continue to build what we started seeing in Iowa. What's most important about that is we doubled turnout, young people voted like they never voted before. We got Independents and Republicans to cross over voting in a Democrtaic caucus. This is the start of a working majority. This is how we're going to change politics and change America."



"You"= 5
"We" or "Our"= 18
"I"= 2

Obama Word Count Totals:
23 Other-Directed, 2 self-directed

No comments: