Feb 1, 2009

Super Sunday Thoughts

I'm finishing up some paperwork. The Mrs. is creating some nachos. The place is pretty quiet this afternoon. The dog is asleep. The TV is off (for now). And my Super Bowl Sunday thoughts are less about the BIG GAME this afternoon and more on where we are at and where we want to go. I've been pondering the end of my term on the Troutdale City Council. I can't go through the day without a look at the state of the national and local economy. But I am also thinking about more important priorities.

This weekend has been a time of reflection. How is my relationship with God? With my family? With my friends? I won't get into the details, but I believe it's important to look back regularly and see if I've made progress, or if I have been lacking in the area of relationships. It seems as if relationships are always a two steps forward, one step back proposition. With some relationships, there are no forward steps. You're still sliding backwards and you wonder how much farther you'll slide down that slipper slope.

I readily admit I came late to the "work on your relationships" game. Thanks to our church and my guys small group, I've come a long way over the last few years. But there's still a long way to go and the process will never be over with. I still put up an internal fight over the entire touchy feely aspect of this process. I keep telling myself that life was much simpler without all of this personal growth stuff. But it wasn't simpler. It was harder. Because life without the touchy feely stuff is a life lived alone. Alone. Even when you're surrounded by people.

So on this Sunday, as I do every day, I will stop worrying and continue to do my best in the real BIG GAME of the people-filled world, with a little help from the Big Guy:

The Lord's Prayer


Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever. Amen

No comments: