Oct 17, 2011

Memories: Eugene's "Big Snow" of 1969


(Sam Blackwell Photo)

January 1969. Boy, did it snow in Eugene!! There are several great posts on the "I grew up in Eugene, Oregon" Facebook page talking about that huge snowstorm.

We moved to Eugene a few weeks before that storm. My dad had us all on the roof of our house shovelling off snow because the roof was creaking under the weight of the snow. 
The next day, we ran out of heating oil. My dad didn't know where the oil fill pipe was, and went to our neighbor, who pointed to a spot in the front yard where there was now 12-15 feet of snow piled up! It took us hours of digging to find that oil fill pipe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post. I am trying to date photos taken of the 60s and 70s, including several of the "big snow." Two dates were noted Jan 1969, and Jan 1971. I couldn't verify either date as correct until I pulled up your photo. bingo! We were in the same storm...1969! As I remember, it came on fast and furious. My daughter had went up to the mountains with a girl scout group the day the storm came it. Hours of worry time, she made it home unharmed. It was one event to remember, even if the particular date wasn't! Thanks again. Kay