Mar 18, 2014

Racism Has No Place in Troutdale




I was ashamed because a Troutdale businessman was verbally attacked by audience members in the city council chambers after he made a business proposal to the Troutdale city council.

This business man was not attacked because of the content of his business proposal. 

He was verbally attacked because of the color of his skin.
He was verbally attacked with a racial slur.

Troutdale business man Junki Yoshida was verbally attacked, not for his business proposal, but because of his ethnic heritage.

In the past, other Troutdale business people have made public/private partnership proposals to the Troutdale City Council.

People were silent when the business person was named Max Maydew.

People responded with racial slurs when the business person was named Yoshida.

People were silent when the business name was Bremik Construction.

People responded with personal attacks when the business person was named Yoshida.

It makes me wonder, what if Junki Yoshida’s name was John Smith?

I was ashamed of my city as I watched this city council meeting.

I witnessed Troutdale citizens,

Not displaying inclusion and acceptance,

But instead displaying intolerance and racism.

I was ashamed of my city as I watched this city council meeting.

Instead of hearing my fellow Troutdale residents speak out against hateful language,

I heard only silence.

Fellow Troutdale residents, shall we slowly sink into silence,
In the face of hateful and racist comments?
Or shall we take a stand?

 Fellow Troutdale residents,
Let us make a strong stand against racism in our city,
Let us make a determined stand against racism in our city.
Let us unite together against racism in our city.

We must say no to racism now.
We must say no to racism in the future.
We must say no to racism, always.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I agree with you. It's been awhile now but I watched a re-run on TV. I was offended at the racial slurs targeting Mr. Yoshida, too. Those were uncalled for and just wrong...and sorry to say, ignorant.

I wouldn't however characterize this city as racist, though...can't really think of other examples. It seems there's always someone in the crowd who speaks, but doesn't speak for everybody.

I think the silence may actually have more to do with folks not knowing exactly how to react...more to the proposal maybe than to the racist remarks. And I don't think necessarily that everyone who spoke out against Mr. Yoshida's proposal were in agreement with the racial slurs. I actually think it was more in response to a trust issue...the haves versus the have nots....maybe. Some people don't trust people of wealth....and they feel threatened somehow. Maybe. I don't know. Like I said...it's been awhile since I watched it.