Troutdale Canfield

Commentary and more from the west end of the Columbia River Gorge.

Jan 1, 2008

90 Years Ago: "Mechanized Banking" Comes To Gresham

In the Dec. 31 Outlook, Sharon Nesbit shares this tidbit published in the Outlook 90 years ago:
"Gresham’s First State Bank announced 90 years ago that its accounting system had been revolutionized by an electrically powered bookkeeping machine, “which adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides. The wonder machine also kept duplicate accounts and could tell you when you were overdrawn.“The machine performs almost unbelievable tasks,” wrote The Gresham Outlook reporter".
at 1/01/2008 02:06:00 PM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: Gresham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • I Became A Bell System Operator 35 Years Ago Today.
    TSPS Console "Will you accept a collect call from John Smith. . . Your number, please. . . Please deposit $1.35 for the next three ...
  • Government is the Moral Center of the Community?
    I attended the annual League of Oregon Cities conference in Eugene over the weekend. It was very informative. I met quite a few nice people....
  • Let's Talk Garbage Rates
    Did you know that Sandy's residential rates are a better deal than Troutdale's? Not only are Sandy's basic rates lower, they in...
  • Why I'm Glad I Don't Work In Downtown PDX
    I don't work downtown. However, the Mrs. does. She usually takes MAX to and from work- it stops 1/2 block from her office.(I'll shar...
  • Kahl, Thiemann, McKeel Shmooz Troutdale's First Friday
    Multnomah County Commission candidate Diane McKeel. House District 49 candidate Nick Kahl. House District 52 candidate Phyllis Thiemann. Tro...
  • Riverview Restaurant: Fantastic!
    I surprised my wife last night with dinner at Junki Yoshida's new restaurant, Riverview . It's just down the street from us. Talk a...
  • It's Over
    It's over. It's time to put an end to the pursuit of urban renewal in Troutdale. At last night's urban renewal public hearing du...
  • Troutdale Garbage Day Pictorial, Jan. 24, 2007

Blog Archive


Comments are moderated. Anonymous comments and ad hominem attacks will be deleted.

Weather Conditions

  • Storm Team 12
  • Troutdale Hourly Observations

Daily Reads

  • Troutdale, Oregon Facebook Page
  • Gresham Outlook
  • Oregon Watchdog
  • Oregon Catalyst
  • Big Government
  • NewsBusters
  • Orbusmax
  • Max Redline
  • PDX Radio Guide (wear flame retardant)
  • Astonomy Picture Of The Day

Blog Hit Parade

  • Drudge Report
  • Front Page Magazine
  • Real Clear Politics
  • Politico
  • Michelle Malkin

Don"t Turn Left

  • Blue Oregon
  • Huffington Post
  • DailyKos
  • Portland Indymedia

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Picture Window theme. Theme images by mammuth. Powered by Blogger.