May 21, 2008

Reality TV Night: Elections, Hells Kitchen, Dancing w/Stars

What a night for reality TV! Last night's results show for Oregon's primary season brought few surprises. My very own House District 49 was as close as I expected on the Democrat side, with Nick Kahl ahead of Barbara Kyle by about 300 votes. You'd think $78,000 would buy more than a 300 vote lead. I guess those campaign dollars don't stretch as far as they used to.

Next door in House District 52, Matt Lindland's victory over fellow Republican Phyllis Thiemann was an interesting turn of events. Way to go, Elaine Franklin.

I was surprised that Republican Mike Erickson beat Kevin Mannix by such a large margin in the Oregon CD 5 race. I'm glad I don't live in that district. I didn't care for the ugly campaigning from either candidate. No, thank you.

In the Republican Presidential Primary, John McCain won handily. But you know what? I voted for Ron Paul. I knew Paul was off in the fringe, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for a DEMOCRAT in the Republican primary race. I might have to hold my nose and vote for McCain in November. I really haven't made up my mind. McCain is running as a Democrat, which he's entitled to do. But I don't have to vote for him, no sir.

Of course, Obama Gantry beat Hillary by a wide margin here in Oregon. This isn't news. No man bites dog story here.

Much more entertaining was the final results show for ABC's Dancing With The Stars. The Mrs. loves this show. I watched most of it with her. Very entertaining. Maybe they should have Presidential Candidate Dancing With The Stars. Naah. I just had a terrible mental visual image of Presidential candidates in skimpy outfits. Think about it.

My favorite reality show this season is Hells Kitchen. I'm trying to memorize all of the insults dished up by Chef Ramsey. "Shut it down, you donkey". I love that one the best. Except when I try to imitate Chef Ramsey, I sound more like Shrek. This is actually a scary show. Maybe I don't want to know that restaurant chefs sometimes cut off the tips of their fingers and they can't find the fingertip amongst the risotto.

Oops I almost forgot. American Idol's final showdown between the two Davids was tonight. We watched a few minutes. But hey! I don't care about this show! I haven't listened to top 40, hip/hop, country/western, or alternative radio for years! I couldn't tell you what's popular right now. But I can tell you that when I watched the American Idol contestants slaughter Beatles and Andrew Lloyd Webber and Neil Diamond songs earlier in the season, I wasn't thinking to my self this could be heaven or this could be hell. Nope. I was thinking that American Idol has finally jumped the shark.

(By the way, 58% of voters think Hell's Kitchen hasn't jumped the shark yet. But over 50% of voters think American Idol jumped the shark on day one. Interesting, eh?)

What about Hillary? Obama? John McCain? Have the jumped the shark yet? If so, when did they make the leap?

4 comments:

I am Coyote said...

Now why would you say "why to go Elaine Franklin?"

Why wouldn't you say "way to go Matt Lindland," or "way to go conservative majority project," or "way to go Coyote?"

The size of Lindland's victory says that Thiemann was going to lose anyway. Couple with that that the R to D turnout in that district was not as bad as some other districts around the state where the Republicans could be in trouble.

I saw polling for that seat well before the election and knew it would not be close.

I'll also say this. Lindland will probably beat VanOrman by more than Patti Smith.

I am Coyote said...

Now why would you say "why to go Elaine Franklin?"

Why wouldn't you say "way to go Matt Lindland," or "way to go conservative majority project," or "way to go Coyote?"

The size of Lindland's victory says that Thiemann was going to lose anyway. Couple with that that the R to D turnout in that district was not as bad as some other districts around the state where the Republicans could be in trouble.

I saw polling for that seat well before the election and knew it would not be close.

I'll also say this. Lindland will probably beat VanOrman by more than Patti Smith.

Troutdale Canfield said...

Fishing for compliments is very unbecoming.

Just kidding. The support provided by the Conservative Majority Project was a major factor in Lindland's win. His values match the district, so he's a good candidate for Republicans.

Coyote, you designed his web site, right? Sold him his signs, brochures, etc? Good job.

I am Coyote said...

Sorry bout the double post. Grrr...

Yes I designed the website and his campaign mailings.

But the kudos should go to Matt. He worked hard and is really a good candidate.

There is just energy from folks after they have been around him. They want to work for him.

He is just a regular guy and doesn't even have to try to be a regular guy. And the polling for this cycle bodes VERY well for regular guys.